Blog Widget by LinkWithin
"The soul that can speak through the eyes, can also kiss with a gaze."
~Gustav Adolfo Becquer

PEAK BAGGING!!

>> Sunday, April 30, 2006


I have this print hanging in my office, and is an inspiration to me, particularly when I've had a hard day and need a little pick-me-up. I had walked across that same rocky summit last Autumn! The photographer, Carl Heilman has done an incredible job of catching this view. If you click on that picture, it'll take you to the page of his site where it's located. He gives a synopsis of when and how he was able to capture such beauty. This picture was taken from the summit of Cascade Mountain, the 36th highest, with an elevation of 4098 ft. If you look to the left of that sunrise, just to the left of the little puddle on the rock; and let your eyes follow straight up (from the puddle) to that mountain range, that "tiny" peak you see to the farthest left, is Whiteface, the 5th highest of the "High Peaks" in the Adirondacks; with an elevation of 4867 ft. In addition to that, if you follow your eyes to the right of that mass of Green, (Porter Mountain, 38th highest and 4059 ft.) the 3rd peak from the right is Mount Marcy, the highest Peak in the Adirondacks, with an elevation of 5344 ft. Carl Heilman has an incredible "virtual" panoramic view that you can scroll yourself. Check it out, it truly is something to see! If you were to follow a line drawn from that sunrise down between Porter and Cascade Mountains to the bottom, that would be Lake Placid. I had stayed at The Van Hoevenberg Cabins, which is located right across from the Olympic Ski Jump. The owner, Wayne Failing, is also a licensed Adirondack Guide and also owns and runs Middle Earth Expeditions, an Adirondack Whitewater Rafting Company. Great Guy! That photograph above is also hanging in his den.

Now, seeing those 'tiny' peaks may not seem like much, unless one is familiar with the layout of these 'high peaks'. Cascade and Porter Mountains are approximately 22 miles away from those other peaks! Many Adirondack vistas are photographed from Cascade, it is the only spot where one can see 26 of the 46 'high peaks', as well as several peaks that do not reach that lofty status. BTW - in order to be considered a 'high peak', a mountain has to be over 4000 ft. in elevation. To give a reference point, most people are aware of
Bald Mountain in Old Forge, and many have climbed it. That elevation is 2350 ft. What I do find of interest is that the Adirondack 46r club actually lists four peaks that are just shy of 4000 ft. This was because the 'original' founders did not have accurate measuring devices, like we do today.

Yes it is a breathtaking view, but this view holds a more personal meaning to me, as mentioned above, I've walked right across that same Summit. I had also 'bagged' Porter too. That was a term I had recently learned, "
Peak Bagging"! Granted, both Cascade and Porter are considered the 'easier' of the '46rs' , but neither are something to sniff your nose at; especially since this was my first try at a "high peak".

Suffice it to say that I've been bitten by the "high peak" bug! Though I don't have any plans to become part of the illustrious and elite 46r group, I have been inspired to try another peak or two! I have plans to spend a week in the 'Dacks this coming Fall. And what a deal I got!!!
For those who may not be familiar, there is a domestic violence shelter that serves Onondaga County, called
Vera House. A much needed service for this community, and relies heavily on donations and funding sources. I have a friend who, has been actively involved with this shelter, over the years. Her involvement, though behind the scenes, has been very instrumental to not only the decision making and mission statement of this agency, but has been heavily involved in obtaining the financial resources to help keep this operating. One such 'event' is their yearly Auction. It ends up being a pretty decent turnout with several community officals in the midst, and they raise quite a bit for this shelter. I had attended the past 2 years, and this year put a bid on a week long stay at a cabin in the Adirondacks.....and I won the bid!!! At such an incredible steal! It has four bedrooms, all with queen size beds, 2 bathrooms, fireplace and large front porch! Even the professional auctioneer had come up to me at the end to comment that I got the deal of the evening! I can't wait to go back up there. I know I plan on trying another Peak, I'm just not sure which one yet. I might try either Big Slide or Saddleback. I would love to try Gothics but think this may be too challenging for me! We'll see. Which ever one we choose to climb, rest assured, I'll be blogging about it! It was such a 'high' to stand on top of those summits, with the wind blowing so fiercely, you were almost lifted off the ground. Looking forward to a repeat performance!

11 Reflections:

gram&lala&m&b 10:21 PM, April 30, 2006  

awesome! when are we going?

;-)

JQP 9:40 AM, May 01, 2006  

I've climed Blue Mountain (twice), and a couple down in North Carolina. Really want to get a few of the other 'Dackers in - just gotta make the time. Good luck.

likegoodstuf 12:24 PM, May 01, 2006  

what a beautiful picture...and a nice way to spend a few days!

GreeneyeZZ 1:52 PM, May 01, 2006  

Newt - End of September! I love the Autumn, so it will be beautiful there!!


JQP - North Carolina? What mountains are down there? Yes you do have to make the time!! Bring your kids, if that's the issue. I'm sure they'd love it!



LGS - It is a real nice way to spend some time. Did you get the chance to look over the "Virtual Panoramic View" Link??? If not, check it out It's GoodStuf! :)

gabriel 2:08 PM, May 01, 2006  

Who are you taking with you? Hehe, j/k! Sounds like a grand time. I did some climbing in my youth in NH.

Kim 5:27 PM, May 01, 2006  

What mountains are in NC? Are you serious? Or is that a joke? I'm not being rude, I just can't tell if you're serious or not.

Anyway, in case you're serious...The Blue Ridge Mountains - Smokey Mts...here, check this out: http://www.grandfather.com/

We lived in the NC mountains for 9 months. Climbed a few of them, too! :-)

GreeneyeZZ 7:29 PM, May 01, 2006  

Dk - I hope I'm not THAT Geographically-Challenged! :) I meant The peaks that JQP climbed. If you'll notice the links to the specific mountains I climbed, I can look them up. Kind of like
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/151688/tanawha-grandfather-mtn.html

This site deals specifically with mountain-climbing and a lot of info that is pertinant to it. But I can see how you might have thought that. :)

Kim 8:59 PM, May 01, 2006  

Speaking of geographically challenged, there is a dj down here who insists that Charlotte, NC is in the north. Sigh.

JQP 9:12 AM, May 02, 2006  

In NC I climbed Wayah Mountain; it's in the Smokies, western part of the state near Cherokee, and on the Appalachian trail. Also climbed another one (I don't recall the name). Beautiful country down there.

Henry 10:43 AM, May 26, 2006  

Hi, found your site via Kim's blog. Your postings show great depth and sensitivity. I've climbed quite a few of the Adirondack Mts. and some seem quite higher than others even though they have shorter elevations. I think the location of the parking lot has a lot to do with it. For example, Blue Mountain's parking lot where you begin your hike is quite a ways up the mountain. So is Cascade and many others. the elevation of the mountain isn't measured from the parking lot to the summit. If your sister is having problems as you mentioned, you might want to take that into consideration. Although it doesn't have an elevation over 4000' Ampersand is a great climb. Beautiful views at the top and a challenging climb. I was more tired climbing it than Cascade. It's located on Rt 3 between Tupper and Saranac Lake. Enjoy your summer hikes.

Speedcat Hollydale 4:01 PM, November 29, 2008  

Thanks for the link!

Going back up to the post to do some ckicking :)

I will send you a reply later. Happy Day Greeneyezz

My Hikes in the Adirondacks

Search Greeneyezz Reflections

Loading

ZZ's Twit Videos

Summit of Mount Jo 9/24/10 A few friends were worried about me. They were worried about me hiking Mount Jo by myself, so I took this video to show how many people were around that day if I needed assistance. I even chatted with several and had a few people share a glass of wine with me at the summit. :) Mount Jo. 9/24/10 After the crowd left This is what the summit looked like... with no people on it. In the previous video I took, I showed all the people who had made this same hike to her summit.
© 2006 - 2010 Greeneyezz Reflections
© 2006 - 2010 Greeneyezz Reflections

   Ourblogtemplates.com (Modifications by Greeneyezz) Blah Blah Don't Steal My Stuff Blah Blah Bl...

Back to TOP