Blog Widget by LinkWithin
"The soul that can speak through the eyes, can also kiss with a gaze."
~Gustav Adolfo Becquer

Truth....Genuine Truth

>> Friday, May 04, 2007

...'you can fool the whole world down the pathway of years, but you can't fool the guy staring back from the glass'


There is a hell of a lot of truth in the above statement.
And you would think that people would know that basic truth.
You would think.

I had coffee and a quick walk in Thornden Park
with someone I know,
before he had to leave for family obligations.
I have lost respect for this person.


The below poem, I think, says it all.
Because in the end,
even though life is what you make it,
keeping your head high doesn't necessarily mean,
you have not cheated the guy in the glass.



THE GUY IN THE GLASS


When you get what you want in your struggle for pelf,
And the world makes you King for a day,
Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,
And see what that guy has to say.

For it isn't your Father, or Mother, or Wife,
Who judgement upon you must pass.
The feller whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the guy staring back from the glass.

He's the feller to please, never mind all the rest,
For he's with you clear up to the end,
And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the guy in the glass is your friend.

You may be like Jack Horner and "chisel" a plum,
And think you're a wonderful guy,
But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
If you can't look him straight in the eye.

You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
And get pats on the back as you pass,
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you've cheated the guy in the glass.


~ Peter "Dale" Wimbrow Sr.

10 Reflections:

^M!R@G3^ ChoPPeR 10:38 PM, May 04, 2007  

Wow. Just wow.

Your story reminds me of an individual whom I had shared some time with in basic training in the Marine Corps; my Senior Drill Instructor had him stand before a mirror almost for an entire day to analyze his true self. He apparantly had some issues with self-confidence. Although the subject matter differs in a sense, I can see how this 'exercise' may have proved helpful to this man in front of the mirror...

But as implied, you only answer to yourself in the end.

GreeneyeZZ 9:36 PM, May 05, 2007  

Mirage, Always a pleasure to see your font here! ;)

That must have been some exercise for your comrade. I wonder if the message that was intended, was the message received by him?

Yes, the implied message is indeed that each person has to answer to themselves, myself included.

I also may have been superimposing onto him what I had 'hoped' was part of his character, rather than seeing him for what he truly was. Even though that is my indescretion, I am still very saddened by that.

GreeneyeZZ 10:45 PM, May 05, 2007  

I wanted to add, my sister, Brunetta had also been touched by this poem, and unbeknownst to both of us, had been wanting to post this on her blog. It was kind of eerie when we had discovered that we both were posting this poem.

She wrote a beautiful little tribute to sisters, that in essence, brought tears to my eyes. You'll find her on my sidebar...Brunetta's Musings.

;)

lyndonmaxwell 12:10 AM, May 06, 2007  

I would agree. You can cheat all others, but you will never be able to cheat yourself. Your conscious will rock from day 1 till the day you leave this very world.

FosterDad 7:25 PM, May 07, 2007  

I honestly believe that there isn't anyone out there that can honestly say that they have not suppressed something that they have done in their past. Unfortuneately, it is all too common that these hidden items are also the wedges between relationships and seem to swell as soon as an act is discovered or unveiled.

Best we can do is explain to that person how much it hurts and disappoints and then hold our heads high knowing that we have done our part to know that we have not cheated the guy!

GreeneyeZZ 8:57 PM, May 07, 2007  

FD,
You are absolutely right about everyone suppressing something at some point. That was why I had included myself in that as well.

Your comment, "...hidden items are also the wedges between relationships..." is soo very true, on so many different levels, it's kinda spooky.

And even though I know that I made the right decision, and have done my part, based upon my own 'Gal in the mirror', I don't feel any less disappointed or saddened by that loss, regardless of the 'rightness' of it.

But I do want to say that your words do have some sort of comfort to me, thank you, I value our friendship! Where the hell were you back in high school?!! ;)

*MWUAW*

~ZZ

FosterDad 10:31 AM, May 08, 2007  

The sadness/loss is never easy....but it does make it easier to look in that mirror later down the road.

Like you, I value our "new found" friendship....of course, back in high school I was hiding behind the mirror!

See ya soon!

FD

JQP 11:51 AM, May 08, 2007  

FD - behind the mirror? Does that mean you were just watching? Or were you judging those who looked into the mirror? ;-)

When I look in the mirror, I tend to try to look thru it. There is more to a reflection than just the reverse image.

GreeneyeZZ 12:12 PM, May 08, 2007  

JQP!!! So good to see you peek in! I hope things are lookin' up a bit for you. Keep the chin up. If you stop at my sister's blog and read her latest post, you'll notice I bring up your name in reference to you posting this poem in my Playroom. ;)

I am most certain FD means that he was 'watching' back in high school. The Strong Quiet Type is what comes to mind for me. ;) He has certainly come into his own as time has marched on. But then again, I think that's supposed to be a by-product of entering into middle-age....feeling comfortable in one's own skin. I know I certainly have. ;)

And while I agree with you that there is more to a reflection than just the reverse image, I am a firm believer each person has to start with themselves First, and then branch out from there. ;)

~IntrospectiveZZ

GreeneyeZZ 12:35 PM, May 08, 2007  

P.S.

Ya know what?

This almost has a feel of a Poll Question I can add to my sidebar.

I received 20 responses for the Caffeine Kick Poll and I'm thinkning it's about time I changed it.

I just need to think of the variety of answers to have as options.

Hmmmmm *Softly strokes chin and ponders*


~IntrospectiveAndThoughtfulZZ

;)

My Hikes in the Adirondacks

Search Greeneyezz Reflections

Loading

ZZ's Twit Videos

Summit of Mount Jo 9/24/10 A few friends were worried about me. They were worried about me hiking Mount Jo by myself, so I took this video to show how many people were around that day if I needed assistance. I even chatted with several and had a few people share a glass of wine with me at the summit. :) Mount Jo. 9/24/10 After the crowd left This is what the summit looked like... with no people on it. In the previous video I took, I showed all the people who had made this same hike to her summit.
© 2006 - 2010 Greeneyezz Reflections
© 2006 - 2010 Greeneyezz Reflections

   Ourblogtemplates.com (Modifications by Greeneyezz) Blah Blah Don't Steal My Stuff Blah Blah Bl...

Back to TOP