Blog Widget by LinkWithin
"The soul that can speak through the eyes, can also kiss with a gaze."
~Gustav Adolfo Becquer

The Tear

>> Wednesday, November 14, 2007


salty mi.
Originally uploaded by mivella


When Friendship or Love
Our sympathies move;
When Truth, in a glance, should appear,
The lips may beguile,
With a dimple or smile,
But the test of affection's a Tear:

Too oft is a smile
But the hypocrite's wile,
To mask detestation, or fear;
Give me the soft sigh,
Whilst the soultelling eye
Is dimm'd, for a time, with a Tear:

Mild Charity's glow,
To us mortals below,
Shows the soul from barbarity clear;
Compassion will melt,
Where this virtue is felt,
And its dew is diffused in a Tear:

The man, doom'd to sail
With the blast of the gale,
Through billows Atlantic to steer,
As he bends o'er the wave
Which may soon be his grave,
The green sparkles bright with a Tear;

The Soldier braves death
For a fanciful wreath
In Glory's romantic career;
But he raises the foe
When in battle laid low,
And bathes every wound with a Tear.

If, with high-bounding pride,
He return to his bride!
Renouncing the gore-crimson'd spear;
All his toils are repaid
When, embracing the maid,
From her eyelid he kisses the Tear.

Sweet scene of my youth!
Seat of Friendship and Truth,
Where Love chas'd each fast-fleeting year
Loth to leave thee, I mourn'd,
For a last look I turn'd,
But thy spire was scarce seen through a Tear:

Though my vows I can pour,
To my Mary no more,
My Mary, to Love once so dear,
In the shade of her bow'r,
I remember the hour,
She rewarded those vows with a Tear.

By another possest,
May she live ever blest!
Her name still my heart must revere:
With a sigh I resign,
What I once thought was mine,
And forgive her deceit with a Tear.

Ye friends of my heart,
Ere from you I depart,
This hope to my breast is most near:
If again we shall meet,
In this rural retreat,
May we meet, as we part, with a Tear.

When my soul wings her flight
To the regions of night,
And my corse shall recline on its bier;
As ye pass by the tomb,
Where my ashes consume,
Oh! moisten their dust with a Tear.

~George Gordon Byron, Lord Byron

4 Reflections:

Friday's Child 12:51 PM, November 15, 2007  

That young man always had a way with words and women didn't he? Sometimes I wish I had been born long ago.

Friday's Child 12:53 PM, November 15, 2007  

BTW I love the photo even tho it is a tearful one at least it isn't blinking at me...:)

GreeneyeZZ 5:45 PM, November 15, 2007  

Gabriel - Yes Lord Byron certainly *does* have a way with his words...
And with the Ladies too! ;)
I thought it was a beautiful poem and it had touched me in a lot of different ways.

It's kind of ironic that you mention sometimes wishing you were born in a different era.
For as 'Forward Thinking' and Independent as I tend to be, I've found myself having more than a few of what would be considered 'Old Fashioned' values.

Damn! :)

Oh...

And the Eye! Let me *not* forget the Eye!

HA!!

I really do need to work on that. (And I just KNOW you would be Sooo happy indeed, to have me finally get rid of what you call my Creepy Blinking Eye!)

I need to take several close up pictures of my REAL Green eye and either find a program that will help me make my own animated gif...or else find someone to do that for me.

This will be something I'll be thinking about soon.
And when it's done, we'll have to give that creepy one a proper send off!


But in the mean time...

Here's Lookin' at you Kid!!

;P~~

~OneEyedZZ

Friday's Child 10:46 PM, November 15, 2007  

Let me know if you find a computer program that will let you mess with photos like that...I'd be interested in it too.

My Hikes in the Adirondacks

Search Greeneyezz Reflections

Loading

ZZ's Twit Videos

Summit of Mount Jo 9/24/10 A few friends were worried about me. They were worried about me hiking Mount Jo by myself, so I took this video to show how many people were around that day if I needed assistance. I even chatted with several and had a few people share a glass of wine with me at the summit. :) Mount Jo. 9/24/10 After the crowd left This is what the summit looked like... with no people on it. In the previous video I took, I showed all the people who had made this same hike to her summit.
© 2006 - 2010 Greeneyezz Reflections
© 2006 - 2010 Greeneyezz Reflections

   Ourblogtemplates.com (Modifications by Greeneyezz) Blah Blah Don't Steal My Stuff Blah Blah Bl...

Back to TOP