Blog Widget by LinkWithin
"The soul that can speak through the eyes, can also kiss with a gaze."
~Gustav Adolfo Becquer

"The Amputation of a Friendship"

>> Friday, December 21, 2007


The Amputation of a Friendship, originally uploaded by Ilina S..

Wow

I was so struck by this, I wanted to post it here.
Her choice of title really grabs me. And the far off look in her eye is very telling.

I had been referred to this picture months ago, by someone in my past. The title "The Amputation of a Friendship" holds enough substance to stand all on its own.
Though, if I was to give it a sub-heading,

"A Study in Irony"

would be very fitting.

If you click on the picture, it'll take you to the original site where this is found on Flickr and roll your mouse over her picture, notes pop up.
I left one.

My Fingerprint.

~ ReflectingZZ

9 Reflections:

delmer 9:31 PM, December 21, 2007  

That was not what I thought it would be about.

I clicked over expecting it to be an entry about how we cull friendships during our lives -- and quit hanging out with people that we don't care to be around. I always think back to college and the guy I knew who drop-kicked a gas lamp in someone's front yard ... it formed a nice fireball at the top, but the whole action left me thinking the guy was a giant dumba**. And I didn't need friends like that.

Greeneyezz 9:33 AM, December 22, 2007  

Good Morning Delmer,

I think it *is* about how we 'cull friendships' (Great phrase btw).
I think when Ilina tried to show the anger she felt, she wasn't aware there would be other underlying emotions displayed so clearly upon her face and in her eyes.

I too have 'culled' friendships over the years, some of them for the very reason you describe ...I didn't need 'friendships' like that.

And then, there are others who, even though you know it's probably in your own best interest, it still makes me very sad. Because I still care.
And *that* is the personal reason behind me posting this beautiful photo with such a striking title.
The irony comes from the object for my sadness and the person who initially had directed me to this photo, are one and the same.

Rolando 1:48 PM, December 22, 2007  

It's a beautiful pic ZZ, but her look is even more meaningful. The title seems so strong, so sudden. Letting go of a friendship that was a part of you is a type of amputation I could not live with.

Usually the friends I make are life friends, the rest are usually acquaintances.

Thanks for sharing the picture and link :)

Greeneyezz 10:08 PM, December 22, 2007  

Hello Ro,
Always a pleasure to see your font here! :)

I agree, it's a very beautiful photo *because* of the emotions that are so visible. I think that's what makes it so incredibly stunning, it's the human-ness (is that a word?) behind it all.

I really liked your choice of words: "Letting go of a friendship that was a part of you..".

Well, he certainly *felt* like he was a part of me.

I hope you have a wonderful, safe, and warm Christmas!

~ZZ

Rolando 11:33 AM, December 23, 2007  

I don't know what's harder, letting go of a friend on the blogosphere or letting go of an offline person.

I almost had to let go of an online friend, but luckily didn't. But just the thought left me longing for that person's friendship even though I never met the person.

Hope your situation has healed. I understand how difficult it could be.

Having a great Holiday so far. No work today, lol.

Greeneyezz 7:16 PM, December 23, 2007  

Awww Rolando...

*MWAW*

You're the bestest! ;)

I'm ok. Given what I've since learned, I *know* I'm much better off. It's just a matter of that info traveling from my Head down to my Heart.

Hey, I wish you a wonderful Holiday! Thank you for all your kind and supportive comments, you're a Gem!

~ZZ

Rolando 10:27 AM, December 24, 2007  

Awww thanks. Now you got me blushing :)

I'm sure that information will get to your heart sooner or later. I guess it will just take some more time.

But I guess reminding you here is not helping, lol.

Take care ZZ and hope you have a great Holiday! Thanks for your friendship!

Anonymous 4:50 PM, December 26, 2007  

it is never easy, is it? whether the friendship is torn away or we make the decision to remove it from our lives with surgical precision....no matter how much anger and even relief there is, the pain is there as well.

thanks for sharing this one, zz. well-timed for events in my life.

Greeneyezz 7:13 PM, December 26, 2007  

Dear anonymous,

You're very welcome. :)

And you're right....it *is* never easy, and, the pain is there as well.

On a highly personal level, there's so much irony and meaning in this picture and title, I felt compelled to post about it.

I'm glad I did.

~ZZ

My Hikes in the Adirondacks

Search Greeneyezz Reflections

Loading

ZZ's Twit Videos

Summit of Mount Jo 9/24/10 A few friends were worried about me. They were worried about me hiking Mount Jo by myself, so I took this video to show how many people were around that day if I needed assistance. I even chatted with several and had a few people share a glass of wine with me at the summit. :) Mount Jo. 9/24/10 After the crowd left This is what the summit looked like... with no people on it. In the previous video I took, I showed all the people who had made this same hike to her summit.
© 2006 - 2010 Greeneyezz Reflections
© 2006 - 2010 Greeneyezz Reflections

   Ourblogtemplates.com (Modifications by Greeneyezz) Blah Blah Don't Steal My Stuff Blah Blah Bl...

Back to TOP