Blog Widget by LinkWithin
"The soul that can speak through the eyes, can also kiss with a gaze."
~Gustav Adolfo Becquer

Welcome to CNY..

>> Sunday, December 16, 2007

And the 'Lighter Side' of living in a snow-belt.

We've been getting pretty hammered with the white stuff.
And it's not over yet.
Below is a picture looking down my street earlier today. That car that you see is mine, and unfortunately, would not start yesterday.
I got a ticket for being on the wrong side.
Damn.

And the price of a ticket goes up because it's wintertime.
Double Damn!
It ended up that I needed a new battery, that was all.
OK, I'm back down to a 'single' Damn again.


The above picture was taken at approximately 3 PM. The picture below, which was taken of the same view, but at street level, was taken at 5:30 PM. About 2 1/2 hours later and you can see the difference in height the snow banks are, made by the snow plow coming down.

No, that is not my car. I have since had the battery replaced and now on the correct side.
There continues to be a Winter Storm Warning in effect until noontime tomorrow. And we are not done yet; as we are expected to get 3-7 more inches by morning time.

Am I used to this? Oh hell yeah! Anyone living in this area, needs to be. We often get 'lake-effect snowfall', complements of Lake Ontario.
Do I typically complain about it?? Not usually until February, when everyone is sick of it. That seems to be about the time that I pull out the Sandy Beach, Cabana Boy and Palm trees, a la ZZ's Oasis at work.

It's kind of funny, I've heard of a local 'version' of Jeff Foxworthy's...

You might live in Upstate New York if...

~ If you can drive 75mph through 2 feet of snow during a blizzard without flinching, you may live in upstate New York.

~ If you have switched from heat to AC and back again in the same day, you may live in upstate New York.

~ If you have worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you may live in upstate New York.

~ If your kids Halloween costume is designed to fit over a snowsuit, you may live in upstate New York. (This one just kills me!! It's sooooo True!)

~ If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once, you may live in upstate New York.

~ If you know all four seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction, you may live in upstate New York.

All very fitting for this area.

And one of my personal favorites, as it was sent to me via Text, by my niece.
*Disclaimer* This in no way implies that drinking while driving is condoned. It's more a commentary on Central New Yorkers' comfortableness with driving in the winter, as often times cities not used to a 'dusting' of snow are some how crippled.

Via Text: "98% of drivers say 'Oh Shit' when they hit ice. The other 2 % are from Central New York and say, 'Hold my beer & watch this shit!'

Yup, We can handle our own.

~ZZ

14 Reflections:

delmer 8:51 PM, December 16, 2007  

When I lived in Mass. the weather guy predicted 7 to 17 inches. Which I thought was pretty broad; *I* could predict that and be safe, I thought.

Well, the folks nearest the ocean got 7 and we got 17 ... I have never been more impressed by a weatherman.

Despite the amount of snow people continued to roar down the road as if they'd just gotten out of prison.

(I'm in central Ohio now and a heavy dew causes people here to drive as if they fear the road is mined.)

The Thrifty Blogger 7:08 AM, December 17, 2007  

My car's been cranking a bit slow the last couple days. Sigh. Well, the good thing is you don't have to worry about that now, and you got stuck at home, the best place to get stuck! :)

FosterDad 12:32 PM, December 17, 2007  

Oh you have it soooo goood....my snowblower broke on Sunday afternoon...of course after all of the parts stores are closed.....so my 13 year old and I shoveled the driveway up until the end which was too heavy at that time for us to do. I figured I'd just back and forth with the suv a couple of times and I'd be good to go....well after shoveling another 12 inches out of my drive(my wonderful neighbor snow blowed the end of my drive for me!) this morning I went to start the cars
and the suv won't start....won't even take a charge from my battery charger...ARGH!....now I have all the kids home from school, my wife stranded and needs to get to work, and I have an 11am meeting on the other side of town....it's 8:30 and I didn't even shower yet....tonight....a nice hot toddy for me and my son can shovel by himself!....by the way....the hot tub stopped also...I think it's an electrical problem...ARGH!

Kim 12:39 PM, December 17, 2007  

You guys should all move down here. It hasn't snowed in years. Of course, we're in a drought and almost out of water, so on second thought, maybe you should stay up there! :-o

Greeneyezz 1:33 PM, December 17, 2007  

Delmer - Did you get any snow in Ohio recently. (I still think that Crosby, Stills, and Nash did a song on Ohio.)

Gwen - Yes, I was lucky. However, I had the police at my door twice, the last time after 2 in the morning. Thankfully I was still up at that time.
I did learn something though...
Advance Auto Parts, the place where I picked up my battery, installed it for me, free of charge, as part of their service. Yaay!

FD - That's too bad about your snow blower, AND your SUV. I hope you're enjoying the time home then. ;)
And regarding your Hot Tub???...
I thought I remember you inviting us in it....LAST winter! *taps foot on floor impatiently and waits for 2nd invite* :)

Kim - Aww come on...you miss this stuff, living in NC, I know you do!
;)

Greeneyezz 1:40 PM, December 17, 2007  

Delmer -

I forgot..you did mention about the shootings.

Ohio

Tin soldiers and Nixon's coming, we're finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming, four dead in Ohio.
Gotta get down to it, soldiers are cutting us down. Should have been done long ago.
What if you knew her and found her dead on the ground?
How can you run when you know?

Gotta get down to it, soldiers are cutting us down. Should have been done long ago.
What if you knew her and found her dead on the ground?
How can you run when you know?

Tin soldiers and Nixon's coming, we're finally on our own.
This summer I hear the drumming, four dead in Ohio,
four dead in Ohio, four dead in Ohio, four dead in Ohio, how many more?
Four dead in Ohio, four dead in Ohio, four dead in Ohio, home many more?

~Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young


(Sad song but great group)

FosterDad 2:46 PM, December 17, 2007  

zz - thanks....but didn't spend too much time home....unless you count shovelling!

As far as the hot tub goes....come on over tonight is ok!....bring a towwl and something to warm the water up with and we're all set! hehe

The Thrifty Blogger 8:47 PM, December 17, 2007  

Ok then, I replaced my battery today too! lol It almost didn't start, so right after work I went and got it changed. Still had the original that came with the car. (2000)No more worries about that now. Winter wipers on too, what a difference!

Kim, think how much fun your son could have in this snow! Yes, it can be a pain, but it can be fun and beautiful too. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I wish I had a snowmobile! :)

Rolando 10:20 PM, December 18, 2007  

That looks awfully cold ZZ, I'm glad we don't have any snow here. If we want snow, we go to it, it doesn't come to us.

Hope you guys are staying warm. We'll send you what heat we have left from California. :)

Greeneyezz 3:31 AM, December 19, 2007  

FD - I'm *not* going anywhere Near your hotub until it's fixed! Isn't it located outside? I do think it would be kinda cool to be in there, with maybe a glass of wine, while the snow fell down around me. Kinda sureal in a way.
Let me know when it's fixed, I'd happily test it out for you. ;)

Gwen - Yes!! So you'll be set for the wintertime with that new Battery. You don't want to be stranded somewhere in *this* weather.

Rolando - OMG!!
"If we want snow, we go to it, it doesn't come to us."
You kill me over here! OK Mr. SmarteyPants...
With all of California's Earthquakes and Fires going on, you guys have your own personal Shake & Bake going on, don'tcha???
;P~~
I like your new site, and have added you to my 'People' area.
It's good to see that you are still about!

~ZZ

Rolando 10:34 AM, December 19, 2007  

Haha ZZ, that's true we earthquakes, fires, and broken levees, lol. But still no snow coming to us, not yet.

Thanks for adding my new site to your list.

I guess I couldn't stay away from friends like you for too long :)

The Thrifty Blogger 4:35 PM, December 19, 2007  

What a difference that battery made! The next day I started my car up and I was amazed at the difference it made, more power and heater was stronger, everything was great. Wow. Did you notice that too, in your car?

Hey a hot tub in the winter sounds nice. Aren't there hot springs around where you can do that too? Probably not around here but somewhere...sounds neat. :)

FosterDad 3:29 PM, December 20, 2007  

my wife drives the SUV...so I didn't notice anything....except the peace and quiet now that it isn't giving her any problems now.

The hot tub is great....nothing fancy, just warm...year round. We did our xmas cards with the kids in the hot tub last year all wearing santa hats...it was snowing too. Worse part about it is the shoveling to get to it...especially if you forget before you go out in your robe!

The Thrifty Blogger 9:15 PM, December 20, 2007  

Wow, that is such a cool idea, kids in the hot tub with it snowing and in santa hats LOL - that's just great! :)

My Hikes in the Adirondacks

Search Greeneyezz Reflections

Loading

ZZ's Twit Videos

Summit of Mount Jo 9/24/10 A few friends were worried about me. They were worried about me hiking Mount Jo by myself, so I took this video to show how many people were around that day if I needed assistance. I even chatted with several and had a few people share a glass of wine with me at the summit. :) Mount Jo. 9/24/10 After the crowd left This is what the summit looked like... with no people on it. In the previous video I took, I showed all the people who had made this same hike to her summit.
© 2006 - 2010 Greeneyezz Reflections
© 2006 - 2010 Greeneyezz Reflections

   Ourblogtemplates.com (Modifications by Greeneyezz) Blah Blah Don't Steal My Stuff Blah Blah Bl...

Back to TOP