Blog Widget by LinkWithin
"The soul that can speak through the eyes, can also kiss with a gaze."
~Gustav Adolfo Becquer

Equinox

>> Monday, September 22, 2008

I look forward to
Burnished Golds and Cranberry Siennas.
Coppery Rusts
That meld with fading Greens -
An artist’s masterpiece
Upon a beautiful canvas.

Crisp air
Lightly laced with
Cinnamon and apples
Evoking memories of years gone by.
The heady scent of seasoned firewood.
As it burns.
Glowing .
The ashes ignite as the air fans it coyly.
Seductive.
Enticing .
Curling its smokey tendrils through the glowing embers.
Caressing.
Much like fingers through a lover’s hair.

It’s sudden crackle, which sends lively sparks dancing thru the air
like fireflies in a mating ritual
And then perish so suddenly.
A sacrificial offering
to the Gods of the Equinox.

I too am a canvas.
My successes and failures -
The brushes.
My wants, desires, and needs -
The paint.
My relationships –
The Colors.
Burnished Golds and Coppery Rusts
Swirl into the cranberry siennas of my life.

My own Equinox.



--------------------------------
Footnote:
The Autumn Equinox, for the Northern Hemisphere,
begins today, September 22 at 11:44 AM, EST.


The Photo above is one that I took this past Saturday while visiting a few wineries in
The Fingerlakes. These grapes are Cabernet Sauvignon, and this photo was taken at Knapp Winery on Beautiful Cayuga Lake. You can see many more very beautiful photos of these grapes on my photo blog.
As you can see, the grapes are almost ready to harvest. The Autumn time is not only very busy for the many wineries there, it's also a very beautiful time of year to visit.

(Also posted at The Midnight Wanderers' Society.)

© 2008 Greeneyezz

11 Reflections:

delmer 4:02 PM, September 22, 2008  

One of my boys wants to try growing grapes next year. I'm not sure we have the sun for it though.

confused 9:14 PM, September 22, 2008  

reminds me of the Niagara region on this sie of the border..worth a visit at this time of year..you really brought forward the season and it's meaning with the poem

Rolando 10:57 PM, September 22, 2008  

It's a beautiful poem ZZ, especially after two glasses of merlot :) One more glass and it will be beddy bye bye, lol.

Speedcat Hollydale 9:27 PM, September 24, 2008  

I look forward to cooler winds and Halloween candy :-)

Did Rolando pass out?? ha haaa!!!

Hi from Speedy .... wonderful and flowing fall words, ZZ

Rolando 9:54 PM, September 24, 2008  

I'm back and sober, lol (for now).

Greeneyezz 10:09 PM, September 24, 2008  

Delmer - Oooh, growing your own grapes could be interesting. I wonder if you have the climate for it?? We certainly get a lot of snow, the the layout of the Fingerlakes has something to do with somehow insulating the area. I'm not sure how that works, but if really interested, I'm sure you could research it.
Let me know if you try that.

Robert - Ya know??...I've never checked out the Niagra region, US or Canadian. It's within fairly easy driving distance of me, if I remember?? That may have to be on my list. And Thanks, I tried to give a taste of this coming Season. :)

Rolando - I like Merlot.
Actually, I'm finding I like a lot of Red wine. Unfortunately, NY doesn't have a long enough growing time for a decent Red, therefore, I like your State's much better! :) A nice Red Zin from Bogle is my favorite! :)

Speedy - Halloween Candy. Yummm...Mmmmm what kind of wine would go with that?? If it's chocolate, Most definitly a Red would do.
But what about 'Mello Cups?? Or Licorice?? Mmmmm...

And Ro - Sober for now, huh?? Did you finish the bottle? Ya know.... three glasses is *almost* a full bottle. :)

~ZZ

Rolando 11:17 PM, September 24, 2008  

Haha, no drinky drinky tonight. Watching TV and blogging. Hope all is well and hope you can find some nice wine out there.

I'm sure they have a specialty shop out there. Maybe the Donald can help you with that :)

JD 8:41 AM, September 25, 2008  

Excellent work Greeneyezz. Very well done. Reminds me of my grape vines that I have to pick (probably later today or tomorrow)so I can make my yearly batches of wine :-) The poem speaks to me of October, of fall colors and outdoor fires. Very nice job.

~JD

Greeneyezz 11:29 AM, September 25, 2008  

JD - That is something I've given thought to the past year or so...learning how to make my own wine.
I did read your comment to me on the Wanderer's site, but hadn't responded yet. (And now I can't access it while you two revamp it.) I laughed at your comment about, you having a 'brutalized palette', or something like that. My maternal grandfather used to make his own wine, and let me tell you....it was AWFUL! My paternal grandfather had planted grapes in his backyard. (The house I grew up in still has those grapes and vines, they are quite wild though.
They have seminars in the Fingerlakes wine region to show how to make wine. I just haven't taken advantage of it yet.

I am curious, do you make Red or White?

btw - you can see some better close up pics of some of the vines and grapes that I saw there. They're located in my photoblog at the top of this page.

~ZZ

The Uneasy Supplicant 5:54 PM, September 25, 2008  

I've made both red and white in the past...have also made sparkling wine. Now as I get older I get cheaper and only make red wine from my own grapes. They are a cold weather variety and very tart so you have to load the sugar in. All in all though, they do get better as they age or like I said....my palette may be only getting more brutalized with each bottle I drink and can't tell if its bad. This time I plan to do a balance test and see if I can balance the acid in the wine. We'll see.
Sorry about closing the MW Blog but it had to be done. Sometimes now is better then never. It will be better and more controlled as well as appearing more professional. I'll be sending an email when it is back up and running.
Take care.
~JD

Swubird 7:06 PM, September 29, 2008  

Greeneyezz:

Nice poem. I am not an expert at poetry, but I like yours. Also, the image of the grapes was appropriate. I have visited you nice photo bog. Good work.

Happy trails.

My Hikes in the Adirondacks

Search Greeneyezz Reflections

Loading

ZZ's Twit Videos

Summit of Mount Jo 9/24/10 A few friends were worried about me. They were worried about me hiking Mount Jo by myself, so I took this video to show how many people were around that day if I needed assistance. I even chatted with several and had a few people share a glass of wine with me at the summit. :) Mount Jo. 9/24/10 After the crowd left This is what the summit looked like... with no people on it. In the previous video I took, I showed all the people who had made this same hike to her summit.
© 2006 - 2010 Greeneyezz Reflections
© 2006 - 2010 Greeneyezz Reflections

   Ourblogtemplates.com (Modifications by Greeneyezz) Blah Blah Don't Steal My Stuff Blah Blah Bl...

Back to TOP