Blog Widget by LinkWithin
"The soul that can speak through the eyes, can also kiss with a gaze."
~Gustav Adolfo Becquer

Butternut Squash Bisque

>> Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I had made this as a first course for Thanksgiving this year. Because I liked it so much I had decided to remake it this week, and I posted a couple photos to my twitter. A few people had requested the recipe, so here it is:

Servings: 12

Ingredients:

3 Tbl. canola oil __________ 9 Cups Vegetable or Chicken Stock

3 Tbl. Margarine __________ Salt & Gr. Pepper to taste

1 1/2 C. diced onion _______ Ground Nutmeg to taste

2 1/4 C. sliced carrots _____ 1+1/2C. H.Cream(I use Fat-Free 1/2 & 1/2)

12 C. Butternut Squash (4-5) _ 1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper

1 Bay Leaf

-----------------------------------
- Cut the squash in half & scoop out seeds. Place squash cut side down on a large cookie sheet and fill with about 1/2 inch of water. Bake in 350 degree oven about 20-25 minutes until fork-tender.
Once cool to touch scoop out meat.



- Heat oil and melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir the onion in the butter/oil until tender.



- wash, peel, and slice the carrots



- When the onion is tender, mix the carrots and squash into the pot. Add the stock and season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne pepper and the bay leaf. (Original recipe did not have the bay leaf or cayenne pepper. I added it due to the bisque would have been bland without it.)

- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer until vegetables are tender.



Once the carrots are tender, remove from heat and remove Bay leaf. In batches, place in a blender and puree the soup mixture until smooth.



- Return to the pot and stir in the cream. Heat through but do not boil.



- Serve warm with a dash of nutmeg.



I really liked the addition of the Bay leaf and particularly the Cayenne Pepper. It added just a slight pizazz to it and when combined with the creaminess of the 1/2 & 1/2, it paired together very nicely.

~Enjoy!


© 2009 Greeneyezz

2 Reflections:

Speedcat Hollydale 1:02 AM, December 20, 2009  

I LIKE!!! ... much better than mustard soup :)

Kold_Kadavr_flatliner 6:52 PM, December 24, 2009  

Yummmm. Love carrot juice. Oh BTW I'm having a BIG-OL party on my drawbridge in Heaven lasting for years. You're more than welcome.

My Hikes in the Adirondacks

Search Greeneyezz Reflections

Loading

ZZ's Twit Videos

Summit of Mount Jo 9/24/10 A few friends were worried about me. They were worried about me hiking Mount Jo by myself, so I took this video to show how many people were around that day if I needed assistance. I even chatted with several and had a few people share a glass of wine with me at the summit. :) Mount Jo. 9/24/10 After the crowd left This is what the summit looked like... with no people on it. In the previous video I took, I showed all the people who had made this same hike to her summit.
© 2006 - 2010 Greeneyezz Reflections
© 2006 - 2010 Greeneyezz Reflections

   Ourblogtemplates.com (Modifications by Greeneyezz) Blah Blah Don't Steal My Stuff Blah Blah Bl...

Back to TOP