Blog Widget by LinkWithin
"The soul that can speak through the eyes, can also kiss with a gaze."
~Gustav Adolfo Becquer

"Every accomplishment starts...

>> Sunday, December 20, 2009

...With the decision to try."
~Author Unknown



I have always been spurred on by a sense of accomplishment.
If there's a challenge some where or some how, I'm all over it.
As a result of this, I tend to be fiercely stubborn independent, as I thirst for knowledge and something worthwhile to quench it.

Discovering this world through my eyes as well as through the lens of my camera, is something I treasure.
I want to take a class in photography.
Not the simple Idiot's guide to photography 6 week BOCES course that, maybe, gave me a couple things to think about; but a real 'live' credited course. That has homework and grades and costs money. 'Cause-ya-know, you get what you pay for when it's a quick 6 week course.

In the mean time, I've been educating myself on some techniques I'm learning on the web.
One such technique involves 'stitching' several photos together to make one panoramic shot.
This has been on my mind since witnessing the beautiful vistas of the High Peak Region of the Adirondacks.... specifically Lake Placid.

While I have not perfected this technique yet, as one can tell, by looking at the photo below, though I still feel a sense of accomplishment.

(Must Click on Pic to make it Larger to see the details better)

Yes. Definitely click on the photo to see the whole thing. Once I perfect this, I'll definitely have a print made up of the original size. The size above? That's 3000 X 265. The 'original' one that I stitched together is a Whopping 26255 X 2320! That'll eventually be hanging on my wall.

Be mindful, It scrolls horizontally for a bit, so don't miss the scroll bars.
For those not familiar with Lake Placid area of the Adirondacks, if you look to the far right, directly under my copy-right sign and date, you'll see what looks like a Gigantic slide. It's the Huge ski jump that used to be used for the Olympics in 1930 and 1980, and still gets used now, for the Olympics training ground.

Some of the errors like the lines clearly seen, as well as the different tones of the scenery, are my error when taking the photos. I know that next time, I will use a tripod to level it, my pics will be shot Vertically, and not horizontally (though more frames will be needed, this reduces distortion.) I will also turn the auto-exposure and the auto-white balance off.
Finishing the Stitching of these photos through Photoshop will still need to be done. Using photoshop brushes to make the transitions blend better will be the finishing touches to make a photo like that look flawless.

Not perfect.

But that's ok. It's still an accomplishment for me.

Oh yeah!


© 2009 Greeneyezz

7 Reflections:

Speedcat Hollydale 12:01 AM, December 21, 2009  

AWESOME !!!! ... even better than two pairs of Jingle Jammies :-)

These large scale panoramics take photography to a whole new level. Doing an image search of "Panoramic" will render some great images too.

SMOOOOTCH :-)

dcr 12:51 AM, December 21, 2009  

That image looks great. You did a good job of stitching it together.

If you're using Photoshop, if you keep each individual photo on a separate layer, it's easier to adjust each one individually to match the colors better.

There are also special mounts for your camera that you can get (or make) to make the process easier too.

Speedcat Hollydale 1:09 AM, December 21, 2009  

You have the actual Photoshop DCR?? You dog you ... I am way to cheap! ( although winter IS here )

I do all my "photoworks" with a whole mess of free image programs. They all have a few strengths, but none powerful nor combined.

Greeneyezz 1:25 AM, December 21, 2009  

Dan - Thanks! Yes I am using photoshop. (A very dear friend gave it to me.)A big part of the problem, color-wise) is that I didn't turn off the automatic settings on it, which continues to alter the settings due to 'perceiving' a different focus and light exposure. grrrr. I'll remember that next time. In the mean time, I may be able to lighten/darken each 'panel' to make it at least closer.
A tripod is on my Christmas List for myself. :)

Eric - But I'll take the Jingle Jammies. :)

Large Scale Panoramics. Oh yeah. If you look to my right sidebar, just about the area of this comment box, you'll see one of my lists of 'Mountains I've climbed'. The first one, Cascade Mtn., is a link to Carl Heilmann, an incredible photographer who did an amazing Panoramic of both Cascade Mtn and the other High Peak I did.. Porter Mtn.
If you click on that link, you'll see an amazing photo that you can control the movement and see it 360.
(I'm very proud of those climbs because they are both 'high peaks' and were done the Same day.
(Not bad for someone over 40.) :)

~ZZ

dcr 11:36 AM, December 21, 2009  

Speedcat - I've been using Photoshop since version 2 or 2.5. ;)

Greeneyezz - There are also software programs that can stitch the panoramas for you. They can line things up, adjust the colors and so on. To some extent, they can adjust for differences in the exposure, but they really work best when each shot used the same settings.

Some applications are also able to compensate for the lack of a tripod, as long as there are portions of the image that overlap in different shots. They can also adjust for lens distortion and stuff like that.

I used to do the stitching manually, but then I bought a software app that does most of the work automatically. All I have to do is enter the images in the proper order and tweak things.

meleah rebeccah 8:20 PM, December 21, 2009  

You should TOTALLY take a photography class. And a REAL credited one just like you want!

Geo 11:03 PM, December 21, 2009  

I'm no authority on creating great panoramas, but I've gotten lucky a time or two (here's one of my nicer ones http://c0278592.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/original/553771.jpg)

The above was stitched using freeware; autostitch and photofiltre. The tripod will definitely help, but I think the most important thing is to lock the light settings from one frame to the next. I suppose my camera could do that (if I was to break down and read the book), but what I do is snap the first picture, then focus on the same place (hold the shutter button halfway down) to lock focus and light, then aim for the second shot, repeat for 3rd, 4th... shots always returning to the same place to lock light settings.

My Hikes in the Adirondacks

Search Greeneyezz Reflections

Loading

ZZ's Twit Videos

Summit of Mount Jo 9/24/10 A few friends were worried about me. They were worried about me hiking Mount Jo by myself, so I took this video to show how many people were around that day if I needed assistance. I even chatted with several and had a few people share a glass of wine with me at the summit. :) Mount Jo. 9/24/10 After the crowd left This is what the summit looked like... with no people on it. In the previous video I took, I showed all the people who had made this same hike to her summit.
© 2006 - 2010 Greeneyezz Reflections
© 2006 - 2010 Greeneyezz Reflections

   Ourblogtemplates.com (Modifications by Greeneyezz) Blah Blah Don't Steal My Stuff Blah Blah Bl...

Back to TOP