Blog Widget by LinkWithin
"The soul that can speak through the eyes, can also kiss with a gaze."
~Gustav Adolfo Becquer

Greens Morelle from Chesterfields

>> Sunday, June 13, 2010

I had found the recipe for Utica Greens that had been made by Chesterfields in Utica.  It's called Greens Morelle, named by the owner, Joe Morelle.  The site I got this from had interviewed him and he had given the below recipe.  However, when going onto the restaurant site, they say there is Oregano included in it and they use imported Romano Cheese, instead of the Parmesan I have listed below.  I include Oregano in mine, and if I use Romano cheese, I'm very mindful of how much salt I add, as Romano tends to be saltier then Parm. Cheese.
For the pics, I have doubled the recipe too.


2 large head escarole
4 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
8 thin slices prosciutto, chopped
6 Italian hot cherry peppers chopped
1 1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 cup parm cheese grated (or Imported Romano Cheese)
1 cup chicken broth (optional to taste)
salt and pepper (to taste) (I use Freshly ground pepper and sea salt.)

(Add 1 tsp. Oregano.)


Clean and rinse escarole twice; chop in large pieces.

Boil down for 5 or 6 minutes so it’s tender and wilted. Particularly if you are doubling the recipe, you will have a lot of escarole, but it wilts down to nothing.

The large pot on left is what I used to boil down the escarole.  I did this in batches.  What you see in the pan on right side is all batches, wilted down, in one pot.  Strain escarole and set aside.


I rinsed out the large pot, heated the olive oil and then added the chopped garlic and chopped
prosciutto.  Saute until rendered. About 5-6 minutes.  Careful not to burn the garlic.  Those who saw my twit pic of this, I had showed the pic using extra virgin olive oil.  Do not use that, as it burns much easier then regular olive oil.
Once ready, stir in chopped hot cherry peppers.  They say to remove the seeds from hot peppers, as that's where the heat is.  I keep about half of them, as I like my food spicy and hot.
Cook one minute.

Once peppers have been sauteed for about 1 minute, you can add the chicken broth and Oregano if you'd like that. 
Then add the escarole and coat completely.  Gradually add the bread crumbs and grated cheese, tossing gently until blended. Taste for final salt and pepper seasoning. 
Continue to cook in pan until hot and ready to serve.
Optional:

Put in baking dish...add mozzerella cheese and thin tomato slices...bake at 400 until top is melted and lightly browned
.


Serve: Serves 4


The only thing I wished I had was a nice hunk of Italian bread to go with this.
Enjoy!! 


© 2010 Greeneyezz

3 Reflections:

livintheblues 8:34 PM, June 14, 2010  

I know I am ruining my reputation here but..that looks quite tasty..:)

Greeneyezz 8:36 PM, June 14, 2010  

Now what reputation would that be...

meleah rebeccah 3:25 PM, June 22, 2010  

OMG! *drool*

My Hikes in the Adirondacks

Search Greeneyezz Reflections

Loading

ZZ's Twit Videos

Summit of Mount Jo 9/24/10 A few friends were worried about me. They were worried about me hiking Mount Jo by myself, so I took this video to show how many people were around that day if I needed assistance. I even chatted with several and had a few people share a glass of wine with me at the summit. :) Mount Jo. 9/24/10 After the crowd left This is what the summit looked like... with no people on it. In the previous video I took, I showed all the people who had made this same hike to her summit.
© 2006 - 2010 Greeneyezz Reflections
© 2006 - 2010 Greeneyezz Reflections

   Ourblogtemplates.com (Modifications by Greeneyezz) Blah Blah Don't Steal My Stuff Blah Blah Bl...

Back to TOP